Sponsored by:
Go to VintageWestclox website
and
Go to ClockHistory website
NOTE - Vintagewestclox.com and/or Clockhistory.com are NOT responsible for ANY post or it's content

Westclox Information
Questions and Answers about Collecting, History, Repair and Identification of Westclox Timepieces

This Forum is NOT affiliated with Westclox or any clock company!

Please use the SEARCH function BEFORE posting a new question!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

scotty wound too tight, how I undo this?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Westclox Information Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimgtg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: scotty wound too tight, how I undo this? Reply with quote

I just bought a Scotty used that does not work , because it appears to be wind too tight. I just found the site with the postings and your posting about removing the winder...can you tell me what to do to relieve the spring of so much tension...

I don't know the age of your watch but the method is similar in almost all Westclox pocket watches.
I am using a newer "Bulls Eye" in the photos but you should get the idea.
First remove the stem (as instructed in another posting), remove the movement and then "replace" the stem, so that the watch stem is in the winding position.

Above is the back.
Remove the hands and dial.

The watch should look similar to the above photo.
Notice what moves when you go to wind the watch. You will see the gear at the top try to move. While holding the watch firmly along with the winding knobs, wind the watch (move it forward) and move the click spring to the top right out of the way. CAREFUL!!! The watch will unwind and you will be slowly releasing the tension with the winding knob/stem. Wait until all tension is gone.
If you do NOT have a winding stem/knob, you can place pressure on the gear with your thumb to slowly let it down but be careful.
Quick release of the spring can result in damage to the watch, not to mention physical harm. BE CAREFUL.!!!
Your watch may mot be the same but the principal is similar. Find out what moves when the watch is wound and you will find what part needs to be released.

Please note that your watch may be different than the one in the photos but the principal is still the same.
jimgtg
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q&A transferred from the old BBS.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Westclox Information Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: